Saturday, March 12, 2011

Tsunami updates on Twitter faster than news stations?

This tragedy in Japan continues to break my heart...the past 3 days it has been one thing or another. Whether they continue to experience horrible aftershocks or a nuclear meltdown, they just can't catch a break. I urge you if you haven't done already to make a donation to the Red Cross of $10 by texting REDCROSS to 90999.

While watching all the different news casts and live coverage of the Tsunami, I was amazed at how often the reporters referred to Twitter and Facebook as fantastic sources of breaking news. My job position is within the Social Media industry and the more that I learn regarding this exciting field, the more I realize that this is changing the world as I type this. We no longer need to stay glued to CNN to watch updates on breaking news stories when you can hashtag the story in a Twitter search and get updates from people actually witnessing the event occur (example being #Tsunami). It is quite exciting to be a part of experiencing these changes in the world and the fact that Youtube has passed Yahoo as a search engine says a significant amount about where we get our facts.

As a Twitter reluctant in the beginning, I can now say that I am probably more addicted to that form of social media than Facebook. I love being able to communicate with thousands of people as opposed to sharing a status update with 160 friends. Just some random thoughts for the evening.

No comments:

Post a Comment